Sunday, May 9, 2010

Gone With The Wind. I'm Not Kidding.

What a day Saturday was! We had our Master Gardeners' annual plant sale in the morning, and were on pins and needles waiting to see what kind of weather would greet us. There was a high wind warning out, and the temperature was supposed to start dropping as rain moved in. Whew - we caught a break. The sun came out, and while the winds were gusty, there was no rain until mid-afternoon. But when the rain arrived, oh boy - we had sustained winds of about 40 mph, with many gusts of 50 and 60-plus mph! Today my back yard is littered with broken off lilac flowers, and tomorrow when the wind finally dies down, I'll have to go out and do a thorough clean-up. I'm ever so glad that we took down 7 silver maples a couple of years ago - this might have been the storm that sent them into the house. Still, it could be worse. I remember a Mother's Day several years ago when we had half a foot of snow on the ground. I feel for the planners of Rochester's Lilac Festival, set to begin next weekend. Between the abnormally hot weather we've had and yesterday's windstorm, I'm betting there won't be much to see in Highland Park this year...........

No comments:

Post a Comment