Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Grand Day Out

This morning, I invited members of a garden club near Lake Ontario to head down south here to my place. The lure was plant shopping at a very fun little nursery about 10 miles from here. I had given a program for their club last summer, and told them about Good Earth Greenhouse. The woman who owns it grows a lot of unusual annuals and herbs from seed, along with perennials and sells them from her side yard. Her prices are reasonable, the quality is excellent, and it's stuff that you just won't find anywhere else. Plus she hands out a free baby plant of some kind with every purchase. The ladies were all for it, and they arrived here about 11 a.m. After a tour of my yard (my iris and peonies are spectacular right now, I must say - and if I don't, who will?), we headed over to Clifton Springs, stopping first for lunch at Warfield's Restaurant, which none of them had ever been to. A fine lunch was had by all. Several of them took my recommendation of Caesar salad with buttermilk-fried shrimp (to die for, trust me) and were very glad they did. They also insisted on buying my lunch, which was lovely of them. Then it was off to buy plants. As if any of us really need more plants. And the irony here is that pretty much everything I have needs dividing, and I offered to share many of the plants they admired at my house - so they're coming back in September for a work party to score still more plants. What can I say - it's a sickness. But I digress. The bottom line was that the ladies were enchanted with Good Earth, several of them intend to go back before she closes for the season, there is such a thing as a free lunch, and every one of us bought more plants. What more can you ask from this life?

No comments:

Post a Comment