Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Amaryllis Competition

Now that the outdoors is disposed of, it's time to pot up amaryllis. Which I did over Thanksgiving weekend. After having an average of 5 for the last several years, and at one time 7 (yes, actually), I divested myself last year of all but two. Most of the discards succumbed to my perennial nemesis the mealybug, and a couple just got old and tired, not unlike their owner. The two I potted up recently are 'Lemon Lime' and 'Susan'. The color of the first is self-explanatory. 'Susan' is a lovely coral color, with just a hint of picotee edging. Performance? Ah, well - that's another matter entirely. Within a few days of being repotted, 'Lemon Lime' sprouted not one, but two flower stalks. 'Susan', on the other hand, has shown one tiny hint of a leaf and not much inclination to do anything else. I know neither one of them will be blooming for the holidays, but my namesake has so far been a disappointment to say the least. Will 'Lemon Lime' bloom in time for New Year's? Will Susan bloom at all? Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment