Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Amaryllis Competition Update

Oh, it was so wonderful - a Christmas Eve miracle! I was busy, tearing around and getting ready for company that day, when I went into the conservatory to get something, and I noticed that both stalks on the green amaryllis had opened fully, were straight and looked glorious. I started that growing Thanksgiving weekend, you'll recall. If I had sat down and tried to calculate a bloom date, I couldn't have done it. Well done, 'LemonLime'! My namesake, on the other hand, still sits - silent and stubbornly refusing to so much as put out a leaf, much less a flower stalk. 'Susan' the amaryllis is even lazier than Susan the gardener can be - and believe me, I can be world-class lazy when I decide to be. In the spirit of tolerance this season, I have not chastised her, but instead have moved her to the east window, next to 'LemonLime', who hopefully will lead by example, or at least shame 'Susan' into putting out, so to speak. If not, she'll officially be on notice!

No comments:

Post a Comment