Friday, August 27, 2010

The Finishing Touches on the Big Dig

Today, I finally FINALLY got the plants replaced along the new front walk!! Things weren't looking too optimistic initially - I had to dig up 6 peony divisions before I found two with eyes. I was a bit surprised that out of 6 plants, that few had eyes. It makes me wonder how many of the dozen or so pots sitting in the vegetable garden are worthless..... Anyhoo, once I got my peonies reinstated along the walk (I had replanted the roses a week ago), I then dug up the spiraeas and put them in. Last were 2 sedums, one on either side of the dogwood. One sedum is special - a cultivar called 'Carl' that I bought in honor of a very dear friend. I started buying plants named after family and friends the year after my mother died. For her, I bought a hardy lady's slipper called 'Hilda', which sadly didn't make it. Crocus 'Dorothy' for a "second mom" and narcissus 'Dottie's Dream' for an elderly relative followed. Hence, the appearance of 'Carl'. There are still many people who need to be represented in my garden, and in time to come I hope they will be. For the time being, my front walk is itself again (all save bulbs), and that feels good. Very good.

3 comments:

  1. What a delightful tribute to the people in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, I'd love to oblige, but I think it will have to wait until next spring. First of all, the foliage on the peonies didn't hold up too well over the summer, so I cut it back. Right now, all you'll see is sticks. The roses don't look too much different. The other problem is that I'm still learning about how to include pictures, so at present, I'm unable to do it. However, next year when the peonies and the dogwood are blooming (hopefully at the same time!), I should be able to provide a lovely shot. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete