Monday, September 6, 2010

What to do on Labor Day

Well, here we are at Labor Day - what the TV weathermen annoyingly refer to as "the unofficial end of summer". Changes in the landscape, albeit subtle, are cropping up daily - tons of goldenrod blooming, here and there the odd maple beginning to color up. It really is a bittersweet time of year, and because we elected to spend our holiday at home rather than at my sister's in Pennsylvania, I'm nagged by the thought that time for planting and transplanting is rapidly evaporating. You're home, you should be out there using the afternoon to start getting the Big Dig plants back into the ground - that's what the gardening side of my brain keeps saying to me. However, the hedonistic, indulgent - all right, LAZY - part of my brain is saying, "Screw it - it's a holiday, you've been goofing off all weekend, why stop now?". The lazy side is very persuasive; plus, I just checked the radar and there's rain heading this way. The problem of what to do on Labor Day has now been solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment