Monday, June 7, 2010

Outside Cleanup Aborted - Inside Cleanup Begins!

Well, it started out being a lovely day. After nearly 2" of rain yesterday, today was to have been sunny, mild and windless - ideal for the group of garden clubbers who came over to get some free plants. We dug all morning, then had lunch on the patio. And it WAS sunny, mild and windless. Until just about the time we finished eating and I looked over my shoulder and said, "Hey, it's not supposed to rain today - but those sure look like rain clouds". Sure enough, about half an hour later it got dark, windy and it poured for five minutes. Pure lake effect.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the phenomenon known as "lake effect", herewith a short primer. Basically, it's this - the cold air aloft moves over the warmer air of the Great Lakes (Ontario, in my case) and gives you boatloads of snow in winter and wave after wave of brief but intense rain showers at this time of year. So, having been driven indoors by the certainty that this would just be an endless feedback loop all afternoon, I turned my attention to the conservatory. This has been a total rat's nest for the last 2 months - dirty vases, empty pots, packets of seed everywhere. Now, I can look at a mess for a long period of time and it won't trouble me at all. But there comes a point in time where it's all suddenly a burr under my saddle and it has to be dealt with NOW. Tomorrow won't do. Next week won't do. Next.......well, you get the idea. I rolled up my sleeves and set to. By dinnertime, I had all the clutter off the floors, all the vases were washed and put away, and the first batch of pots was washed and set to dry. Phase One will be finished tomorrow. And then it's onto the Next Big Thing - back outdoors to begin the Big Dig. We've contracted to have our front porch and sidewalk replaced, and that means that I have to dig up every single thing along both sides of the front walk. All of it. By myself, unless I can rope in some unsuspecting friends......

No comments:

Post a Comment