Friday, June 12, 2009

On the Brighter Side


Yes, I know - my last post was an outpouring of my misery. Grim reading, but just as sunshine follows rain, bright spots emerge in the shadows. I went out to dig some iris I had promised to a friend, when my eye started to wander around the landscape. Almost immediately my attention was grabbed by an unfamiliar splotch of blue in a bed where I didn't recollect having any. Closer inspection (I am beyond nearsighted; if someone hadn't had the foresight to invent the contact lens, I'd be using a dog and a cane by now) revealed the newcomer to be a Dutch iris! I last planted Dutch iris about 3 years ago; I assumed that it had died. What a lovely surprise. Patrolling the other beds turned up more delights - a "bomb' peony named 'Nancy Nora' with a ravishing scent that I've been searching for since my childhood; Penstemon pinifolium, a tiny penstemon from High Country Gardens not more than 3"-4" high that has finally deigned to bloom after 2 years. When I stuck my nose out front, I discovered that all of my roses are blooming lushly. Finding that my peas have finally come in was a big bonus - biting into a round green pearl of a pea is like candy, and such a welcome addition to our dinner salad. So I concede that perhaps Mr. Burroughs was right after all - I have been soothed and healed. My senses are once again in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment