Monday, May 4, 2009

TGI - Botanical Latin?!?

I just returned from a long-dreamed of trip to the Netherlands (my first trip abroad), and one of the places my husband and I sought out in Amsterdam was the city's botanical garden.  This was a lovely place in the heart of the old city, small but fascinating.  I enjoyed walking around the parterred beds, checking out what was blooming that day, poking around in the greenhouses, etc. However, not for the first time, I was deeply grateful that I am conversant with botanical Latin.  I have been unfairly tagged as elitist by some; when asked to identify a plant I tend to give the Latin name first.  The only reason for this is that when I was going to school for my hort degree, the Plant Materials class required tons of rote memorization of Latin names.  And thank goodness it did, because naturally the signage at the gardens was all in Dutch, with the Latin following.  If I didn't know the botanical Latin, the Dutch in many cases would have been indecipherable, and I wouldn't have known what the hell a lot of the plants were!

No comments:

Post a Comment