Saturday, April 4, 2009

Houseplant Surprise

Last week I was puttering about in my little conservatory watering everyone, when I tipped the watering can down over my sanseveria plant and saw an astonishing sight.  A flower stalk about a foot or so high was emerging at the bottom of the clump!  This was a revelation to me, for I am primarily a perennial/outdoor gardener, and I readily confess to a certain level of ignorance when it comes to houseplants.  In fact, I only have the sanseveria for sentimental reasons; the original plant was in a dish garden from my mother's funeral.  The nice thing about this plant is that it's really low maintenance, which suits me just fine.  However, not knowing much about it, I had no idea that it could flower.  And a lovely flower it was, too - whorls of lime green flowers all the way up the stalk, and with a light, sweet scent of freesia.  I get the feeling that indoors, this flowering might be a one-off and I'll never see it again.  And that's OK - the important part was being reminded that no matter how old you are or how long you've been gardening, there's always something new to learn.  Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment