Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Catnip Day

Today was one of those incredibly perfect early spring days; an achingly clear blue sky with temperatures in the mid-50's.  From earliest childhood, being outdoors on a day such as this has been like rolling in catnip for a cat - it simply has to be done.  It's irresistible.  And while I'm done for the next couple weeks with working outside (I'll be traveling), I could no more stay in than fly to the moon.  So out I went.

This morning, I prowled around the yard.  I checked on everyone that was coming up; I looked for any possible plant material that could be used in an arrangement I'm doing for a party this weekend.  Sometimes I simply stood, looking up into the blue, feeling just plain damn good. However, nothing lasts, and in time I had to go in and have lunch before driving to an appointment some 20 miles away.  I was overjoyed to discover when I came out that it had gotten warmer yet, and since I had our sporty little Volkswagen GTI ("arrest me" red and turbocharged to boot, thank you very much) I decided to meander home via the back roads.  It wasn't quite as good as being out digging in a flower bed - but it didn't suck!  And seeing all the daffodils bursting out in grass as green as any emerald as I wound my way homeward just capped off a perfect spring day.  A day in which everything good seems possible, as you contemplate the long, warm months ahead, knowing that there's so much more to come.  In short - a catnip day.

No comments:

Post a Comment