Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Happy Bloom Day!!!

It's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - woohoo! This is a fun tradition that I only learned of today, and I certainly will mark my calendar for next year. We garden bloggers are supposed to blog about what's coming up in our gardens on this date so, ever suggistible, I promptly went out to have a look-see. Since I live just south of Rochester, NY and we only just got rid of our season snowfall total of (I believe) 120", the pickings are a bit slim - but not for much longer. My half-acre here in zone 5 contains the following:

winter aconites, 1 snowdrop ('S.Arnott'), 1 patch of bright orange crocus, 1 light purple crocus and some pussy willow stems

The hellebores are all budded and just waiting for a few more mild days to open up. Daffs, tulips, glory-of-the-snow, striped squill, more snowdrops, hyacinths and other crocus are pushing up by the day. Peony tips have begun to emerge. There's no stopping it now, baby - spring is as good as here, no matter what the calendar says.....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a lot starting to come up and that your garden will be full next month in time for the next Bloom Day. Since it's a monthly tradition, it's fun to see how the garden evolves through the year. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HolleyGarden, I didn't realize that this is a monthly event - what fun! I intend to sit down and take a look at your blog tonight - I very briefly went there this morning, and it looks really interesting. I can't wait to go back after dinner! Thanks for leaving a comment - it's nice to know that someone is interested.

    ReplyDelete