Friday, July 9, 2010

Hot Stuff

This week has been brutal. The 4th of July dawned hot, and has grown steadily hotter ever since. Every day this week was at least 90 - yesterday was actually 95; the heat index was nearly 100! And the amazing thing about it is that, while the humidity naturally increases at night, daytime humidity levels (with the exception of a couple days, today included) have been almost desert-level. Yesterday was like a blast furnace - clear, sharp blue sky without a hint of haze, and relative humidity of 36%. Amazing.

As you might expect, the poor plants are suffering mightily. I've been watering morning and evening, but only the things in pots; the perennial beds have to fend for themselves, unless I see someone in undue distress. I just don't have the time, as I have about 3 dozen pots penned up in my veggie/cut flower garden in back, plus all the mail order plants that I haven't had the space or the opportunity to plant yet. Just watering those alone takes nearly an hour, much less everything else in this yard. Dear God in Heaven, I am tired of watering....... On the plus side, the front porch/sidewalk rebuild is (allegedly) to begin Monday morning. Once that's done, I'll be able to start replanting a lot of the aforementioned pots. Now, if we can just have some rain to soften up the ground so I can weed so I can plant!

No comments:

Post a Comment