Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wee Wonders

We had some achingly lovely spring weather last week, that has unfortunately deserted us for the short term. Today it's in the 30's with a chill rain, and the flowers that opened and sunned themselves then are now either closed up tight, flattened, or both. Most depressing. However, I wanted to share a couple of happenings last week that, frankly, startled the bejesus out of me, they were so unexpected. Delightful, but unexpected.

First of all, I have a pink-flowered Cornus florida by my front walk. Underneath it, at least 15 years ago, I planted a clump of Iris reticulata, a dark purple - I've forgotten the cultivar. This clump stopped blooming about 2 or 3 years after I planted it. The leaves always came up like clockwork every spring, but nary a bloom. Imagine my surprise, then, when I looked down to see one lonely, brave flower where none had been seen for more than a decade. In searching mind and memory for a possible reason, the only thing I could come up with is that typically, I don't bother removing the fallen dogwood leaves over the winter, and for some reason I did so last fall. Perhaps the extra light exposure did the trick? I don't have a clue.

The other unexpected happening was that, for the first time in eons, none of my crocus were molested by the bunnies! Every single clump was lush, full and unmunched. Again, why? Best guess is that because the crocus opened up a good two weeks earlier than normal, the bunnies weren't out and about to do damage. But that's just my best guess. On both counts I was, as the Brits like to say, gobsmacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment