Thursday, March 18, 2010

It Was The Best of Times, and The Worst of Times....

Best: The weather this week has been sublime. The snow has been melted and gone for nearly 2 weeks now. As I write this, it's 64 degrees, sunny, we've got the front door open to blow all the winter stink out of the house. I now have winter aconites (nearly done, with this warmth), snowdrops, crocus and a few 'Rosina' violets open. Tulips and daffodils have been growing by inches each day. Pussy willows are out. The frozen custard stand by the lake is open, and while I was out this afternoon, I treated myself. Chocolate, in case anyone was wondering. In short, a perfect nearly-spring day!

Worst: Now that the snow is gone, I'm seeing what the voles hath wrought, and it ain't pretty. Those little - blighters - were everywhere, and they were industrious. There are spots in front and in back that look like a relief map. And it looks even worse from the upstairs windows. I have a great deal of work to do. As if that wasn't bad enough, I went out and pruned back some clematis yesterday (another superlative day), and found a dead mouse on the patio steps. Fortunately, I had my gloves on, so I was able to pick up the ex-mouse and fling it out into the field behind my house. Talk about adding insult to injury........

No comments:

Post a Comment