Tuesday, October 27, 2009

October's Bright Blue Weather

Yesterday was one of those old-gold days that only seem to come in October. A flawless, cloudless, cobalt sky with the oranges and yellows flaming against it. A mild day that still had a hint of nip in it, making it the kind of day that I absolutely love for working outdoors in the fall. It feels grand to be out, but equally good to go back in after a few hours of hard labor. As much as I hate winter (it goes on forever up here in western NY; world without end, amen), I've had a lifelong love affair with fall in general and October in particular. It is my birth month, and when I was small, I always thought that nature put this show on just for me. It is in many ways the loveliest month of the year, and there are poems and fitting quotes galore celebrating the spectacle. Helen Hunt Jackson's verse about "October's bright blue weather" (an apt description if ever there was one). A favorite quote from the naturalist John Burroughs: "How beautiful the leaves grow old. How full of light and color are their last days.". Even though this spectacular flame-out leads inevitably to the darkest and dreariest months of the year, I'm irresistibly drawn to it - and I'll revel in it until the day I die. Which may be soon, if I don't stop reveling and start getting serious about fall cleanup........

No comments:

Post a Comment