Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Queen of Unfinished Projects Returns

Well, I see it's been nearly 2 months since my last post. Medical problems and other trivia kept me away from the blog all this time, but things finally seem to have settled down. Today, in between thunderstorms, I began an undertaking that I've been wanting to do for some time now - I have begun to catalog my perennial plant collection! Working from memory (and occasionally running outside to peek at various beds), I have counted 110 genera. At some point, I'd like to catalog it by species/cultivar, but I almost think that needs to be done beginning in the spring as things appear.

It may not seem like a particularly Big Thing to a lot of people, but you have to consider that when we purchased the house 17 and a half years ago, almost no landscaping existed. All that was here was: 3 big yews and 3 small azaleas across the front of the house, 1 arborvitae on the west corner of the house, 1 small azalea and 1 euonymus shrub beside the garage, and a large island by the street (this was once the model home for the tract) with barberry and juniper. That was it. In the intervening years, I have planted everything else. I suspect the dollar figure for all this supplementary landscaping would make me blush........

No comments:

Post a Comment